Welcome to the weekly Nap Time Pursuits Link up!
And Happy Tuesday before Thanksgiving.
We host Thanksgiving every year. On Thanksgiving Tuesday, I begin to hunker down, abandon all meaningful employment and get serious about the turkey and the related fixings.
One of my favorite things is to make custom napkin rings for my table each year. It is easy, fast and lends something super fancy to my table. I am moderately obsessed with cloth napkins (I use a cloth napkin everyday with my lunch; even if my lunch consists of a half-eaten chicken nugget and some goldfish.). Every good cloth napkin deserves a fabulous napkin ring!
Making DIY feather napkin rings is so super easy. The whole process takes a couple minutes per ring.
I used these gorgeous feathers that I found at my local craft store. I choose a deep red and a lovely dark emerald green (that reminds me of Wicked.). I will use these on both my Thanksgiving and Christmas tables this year. And bonus, it is super cheap to make these. I spent about $6 to make ten DIY feather napkin rings!
The stems are created with floral wire and wrapped with green floral tape. Floral tape is super forgiving and easy to work with.
In the past, I've used flowers, fake berries and fake greens to make napkin rings using the same technique.
Here's what you need to make DIY feather napkin rings:
- Fancy, stemmed feather bunches from your favorite craft store or stash (I used stems with five feather bunches; so in the end I made 10 napkin rings)
- Floral wire (one spool)
- Green Floral Tape (one roll)
- Scissors or floral snips
To make feather napkin rings:
- Remove the feather bunches from the main stem. Try to leave a bit of the wire, so the bunch of feather stays intact.
- Cut about 7-8 inches of floral wire. Twist the floral wire around the end of the wire on the feather. Then turn up a 1/4-1/2 inch of the end of the floral wire. This will ensure the end of your napkin ring is not sharp.
- Starting at the top, stretch and tightly wrap the floral tape, as you twist the wire stem around. Overlap as you go. When you reach the bottom, reverse direction and wrap back up to the top.
- At the top, rip the end of the floral tape. Grab your favorite cloth napkins and wrap with your snazzy new feather napkin rings!